autism-pakistan.org Forum Index autism-pakistan.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3rd stage of program planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Building interaction & programs for enhancing visual attention
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saima ijaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: 3rd stage of program planning Reply with quote

3rd Stage of Program Plan

1.Visual Aids

Regular introduction and encouragement for using helpful visual tools, like schedule boards,week and day planners, dictionary, timer, calculator, i books, watching documenatries, game boards, computer games, cue cards etc.

2.Four pillars of receptive language

With the help of matching / and object finding activities, action imitation and sorting.... kids can be taught the meaning of nouns, verbs / prepositions and adjectives within a sentence. Kids will start find language interesting as it becomes more meaningfull. Sentence used should be more functional for the child and less abstract.

3.Sentences to question / answers

Now with the help of sentence strips, help the child provide you with more than a single word answer. Keep the sentence strips in place well after the child has mastered that skill. Add the question later and again prompt the child to use words with a sentence strip to answer

. e.g.

What is this? This is a ______

What do you see? I see a ________

What do you have? I have ________

Where do you want to go? I want to go to _________

Who is this? This is ________

4.Turn taking games

Now that the child has an idea that when it's his turn, he is expected to do something and when it's other person's turn he is expected to watch and wait.

Use this to attend to new skills being introduced. He will not be anxious about the novelty knowing that he is not expected to work on it. Afterwards tell the child that it's his turn and encourage / help him to succeed. Also prompt the child to say ' your turn' when he needs help instead of whinning or getting upset.

5.Task analysis

With the help of simple sentence format and picture symbols, you can break down the daily routine tasks for the child to understand the sequence of the actions needed to the completion of a task.

6.Academics

Reading By this time child will be attentive to your reading and him filling in the left out words. While the ASD kids develope reading skills fast, their attention span is not there if the content is not meaningfull, or if they have difficulty with verbal expression.

Spelling Isolate nouns and verbs to practice spelling. First by leaving out a single letter to fill and progress towards more independent spelling. However try to keep build this activity towards picture and object related.

Number and number concepts While kids have a good rote memory and may learn the number order, they have trouble associating numbers to value. This needs extra work with base ten blocks.

Sums With number value concept clear, kids learn to do sums fast. Start with additions and restrain from introducing subtraction too soon.

Sight word books and songs

Continue working with early sight words books with picture recognition and songs with actions.
SAIMA IJAZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Sensory tools for Nyma Reply with quote

aoa Humera,

Body soc, shape shifters and strech-eze are designed to improve self awareness, which most of the autistics lack and as a result engage in constant activity and crave more vestibular and proprioceptive stimulation. These are made of lycra or resistant strechy material and kids love to strech. They help in calming and facilitate motor coordination.
Check out this site for these products, get an idea and see if you can have these made at home with some strechy material. Checking at ebay is a good idea, though it might cost quite a bit in s&h.

http://www.schoolspeciality.ca

If you can access an online catalouge, these materials are shown on pages 72 & 73.

Instead of base ten, you can also use small interlocking lego pieces. I will give you next steps for each of the programs, but would like to carry it out here on the forum. I am waiting for Usman to load the program page and than I will be able to read your responses and add the next steps. I will send some templates to you directly to start working with and rest you can either get from the site or make alterations in the saved ones according to my guidelines.
Could you please add your response to the send program here, so that it can be followed by others who might want to apply same steps for their child, thanks.

Saima
Saima Ijaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Program feedback Reply with quote

Date June 24th / 06

By Saima Ijaz

Domain Skill Step
Materials
Suggestions / Feedback
1. Receptive
Language Thematic unit words
I spy sheets Working from the chalkboard cards to I spy sheets. 5 words at a time.

Response: started seasons ( summer chalkboard cards )
2. Receptive
Language Early
verbs
Verb Pecs. Receptive discrimination of early verbs with labelled verb cards, along with action imitation.
Response: nyma knows at least thirty verbs at a receptive and expressive level , we will repeat 10 at a time along with action imitation

3. Receptive
Language Negation
Pec.
preferred / non-preferred With one preferred and one non preferred edible, ask nyma, do you want (non - preferred) with a no pec. at hand, prompt her to hand you the pec. or say no. Give her the preferred item after saying, good say no.

Response: nyma was taught yes and no with the above method. She uses no effectively in most situations and yes seldom on prompting. We will revise this exercise as you guide us. She is also circling yes or no to answer simple questions in her phoenix reading program

4. Receptive
Language
Possessives

Response : does this means nyma?s dress, mummy hair brush , baba?s book ??
5. Expressive
language Asking more 1 more sheet
Base tens Prompt her to say more, to hand her more ones.

Response : Please elaborate
6. Gross
Motor

Action imitation Same verb as in domain 2. Do the pretend action with a prop. And ask nyma to ?do this? . Help her be successful with physical prompts and fading.

Response: will do as mentioned in item 2

7. Interactive
Reading Enhancing
Visual Attention
Reading of the personnel book.

Response : please elaborate
Saima Ijaz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

1.Once Nyma shows receptive and expressive for the first 5 words, connect it to the following activities.
a. find in the I spy page.
b. spelling./ printing.
c. Simple sentence..I will send you the tempelate.
Repeat with the next 5 words.
2. Let me know what the verb list is that she has mastered,
3.Once mastered than have to teach her saying ?no? for a non-preferred activity, instead of yelling.
4.Yes, This will chain into teaching her if it?s Nyma?s stuff or others and what are the ?rules? for other?s possessions.
5.I will send you the sample sheet. Use it with base ten or interlocking lego pieces. Let me know what you would be using.
7. I will send you the pages.
8. Same as above
9. Awesome!! Wait for the next sheet.
10. Great!!

You are doing a great job!! Keep it up.

Saima
fawzi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ejaz, have been finally able to register and can use the website to corresspond, will revert soon on your comments

regards,

fawzi
fawzi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ijaz, two templates,

-name and age
-skip count

received , will await instructions on how to use them,

thank you and regards,

fawzi
fawzi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ijaz,

acknowledge receipt of a third template ,

- sen.bm2

regards,

fawzi
Saima Ijaz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: next steps Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Khawaja,

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Taking the first 5 mastered words from the thematic vocabulary, cut out the chalkboard cards into picture and word. Do a matching exercise to see that Nyma correctly matches the word to picture. She can also spell the same words and get comfortable . Than move her to the trace and print sheet, where correctly place a single word card like, tree on the left side of the sheet, help her complete, this is a tree. Place a plural like flowers on the right side to help her complete, ..these are flowers. Repeat the exercise for atleast 3 days or till Nyma is trying to place the 2 pictures on the appropriate side. Than repeat with another set of words.

For the personal book, Just let her trace one sentence at a time and make her read or repeat afetr she has written. Once she starts reading more fluently, cut and paste one of the traced or printed sentence on a page with her picture and a question, what's your name ?, prompt her to read the answer after the question. Repeat with the second question. Use these sheets for tracing, printing and reading as well as creating Nyma's own book of social question answers.

Now that she has mastered connecting numbers to the value, show her how you have to add a manipulative, like lego piece or ones from base ten, with each next number. Take it slow like just 3 numbers and 3 manipulatives and repeat the exercise till she becomes comfortable with the concept. The forward and backward count with manipulatives will form the base for her adding and subtracting skills.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Saima
fawzi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ijaz,

the ,

http://www.schoolspeciality.ca website does not open, if you have another appropriate website please refer the same.

thank you,

fawzi
fawzi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ijaz, acknowledge receipt of attachment on body parts

thanks,

fawzi
saima ijaz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: online shopping sites for sensort integration Reply with quote

aoa, please try these links.

http://www.schoolspecialityonline.com

http://www.abilitation.com

Saima
saima ijaz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

Sorry I misspelled, the site is htt'://www.abilitations.com

Saima
fawzi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for sending the websites

fawzi
fawzi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear dr saima ijaz, hope you are well , this is humera,

I would like to discuss the program again

1. thematic units ( summer)

she already knew most words from the summer chalkboard cards , we have done writing practice for the whole week , do we have to do dictation as well ?? ,

nyma can spell only spell short vowels words ( cat, hut , hit , hot , net etc ) and oo , ee, ou words ( pool, look, bee, see , loud, house etc ) however she has a good rote memory for longer words e.g lemonade , summer etc , she therefore may be able to do dictation through rote memory but she won?t be able to spell longer words yet.

We will start match ups from next Monday followed by trace and print sheet.

2. verb list ( know to nyma ) being revised

blow, build, color, clap, cry, cut, dance, drink, eat, hop, hug, jump, knock, look, paint, point, push , pull , read, run , sing, sit , sleep, smile, stand, swim, throw, walk, wipe , write, and a few others

3. negation

After doing no with edibles I decided to make the task a bit more meaningful for nyma so I added a yes pecs also, showing her one out of four edibles turn by turn and let her say yes ( give her the item) or no ( put away item) , on Monday I?ll start the same with activities ( preferred and non preferred ) as that appropriate ??

4. possessives

will start asap

5. asking more

we have received a one more and two more sheet from you, how to use the sheet while she says one more please and I hand her one lego piece and what is the connection between asking one more and the sheet.

6. action imitation

we are doing this

7 & 8 personal book

you have sent me two trace and print sheets , I understand I have to do reading , writing , answering questions for one sheet at a time . will you be sending more sheets or do I have to make them myself e.g my home address is ?.., my fathers name is??? etc.

9. number value

she has mastered this activity

10. turn taking

in progress

one problem which we want to discuss with you is her toileting issue , although nyma?s constipation is better but she continues to wet herself inspite taking nyma to the toilet almost on an hourly basis, she seems to have a reason which we are unable to understand , she also seems to be marking activity or time or an event by doing so , can you guide us how to control it, when nyma is out of the house and distracted by other activities then she does not wet herself, as advised it has happened in the last two winters and the first time this summer

I?ll be visiting my family in Karachi next week and will be there for 3-4 weeks , I?m taking nyma?s work with me and will try to continue her program

regards

humera
saima Ijaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Response to the report Reply with quote

fawzi khawaja wrote:
dear dr saima ijaz, hope you are well , this is humera,

I would like to discuss the program again

1. thematic units ( summer)

she already knew most words from the summer chalkboard cards , we have done writing practice for the whole week , do we have to do dictation as well ?? ,

nyma can spell only spell short vowels words ( cat, hut , hit , hot , net etc ) and oo , ee, ou words ( pool, look, bee, see , loud, house etc ) however she has a good rote memory for longer words e.g lemonade , summer etc , she therefore may be able to do dictation through rote memory but she won?t be able to spell longer words yet.

We will start match ups from next Monday followed by trace and print sheet.

a) Has she tried finding the words in the I spy sheet, and is that difficult as compared to her labelling isolated pictures.

b) Let me know about the match ups and than we will discuss the next step.

2. verb list ( know to nyma ) being revised

blow, build, color, clap, cry, cut, dance, drink, eat, hop, hug, jump, knock, look, paint, point, push , pull , read, run , sing, sit , sleep, smile, stand, swim, throw, walk, wipe , write, and a few others

I would like to see her print a word to a picture. I think there is a sample verb sheet on the site, I will make on as a template from Nyma's mastered list.

3. negation

After doing no with edibles I decided to make the task a bit more meaningful for nyma so I added a yes pecs also, showing her one out of four edibles turn by turn and let her say yes ( give her the item) or no ( put away item) , on Monday I?ll start the same with activities ( preferred and non preferred ) as that appropriate ??

Yes, this is great. Have you noticed any improvement in her ability to say no to an activity instead of yelling. Please continue this exercise till she is well into that stage.

4. possessives

will start asap

5. asking more

we have received a one more and two more sheet from you, how to use the sheet while she says one more please and I hand her one lego piece and what is the connection between asking one more and the
sheet.

As she is very good with number sequence, showing her that a number + 1 more is the next number.

I have send you another sheet with instructions, hope that would clarify your confusion.

Also I introduced this as you had told me that you were working on more concept.

6. action imitation

we are doing this

7 & 8 personal book

you have sent me two trace and print sheets , I understand I have to do reading , writing , answering questions for one sheet at a time . will you be sending more sheets or do I have to make them myself e.g my home address is ?.., my fathers name is??? etc.

I willsend you a few more basic ones and you can add to those by modifying the send template and school font cd.9. number value

she has mastered this activity

Does this mean that she can answer to the question without a visual?

10. turn taking

in progress

one problem which we want to discuss with you is her toileting issue , although nyma?s constipation is better but she continues to wet herself inspite taking nyma to the toilet almost on an hourly basis, she seems to have a reason which we are unable to understand , she also seems to be marking activity or time or an event by doing so , can you guide us how to control it, when nyma is out of the house and distracted by other activities then she does not wet herself, as advised it has happened in the last two winters and the first time this summer

I?ll be visiting my family in Karachi next week and will be there for 3-4 weeks , I?m taking nyma?s work with me and will try to continue her program

regards

humera

Could you explain her behaviour after the wetting incidence. Does she change, looks uncomfortable, asks for help. I will be able to guide you better after this info.

Thanks,

Saima[/b][/u]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Building interaction & programs for enhancing visual attention All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: