autism-pakistan.org Forum Index autism-pakistan.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recovery is possible- research supports, Dr. Amy proves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saima

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I saw your message on the meetup and a few of us wondered that this sounded more like an add than an experience....we would really like to know your personal journey and the symptomatic progress if you are willing to share, thanks.

Saima
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sommer,

I am also not convinced. Like Dr Saima said we on this forum would be more interested in your "personal journey and the symptomatic progress" rather than publicity stunts ... :)

Best regards
saima

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sommer,

I have to say that you must be feeling great that your child is making progress....as this is the wish of all parents regardless of their location and resources. When your child is doing good, you feel full of energy and high spirits and want to share that will all...however always remember that nothing so far has worked for all. I am a doctor with work experience in paeds, along with training and courses in each and every research field related to autism whether its a therapeutic or medical or teaching....please check my profile.
http://www.actbc.ca/registry_of_service_providers/rasp_profiles/behaviourConsultants/saimaIjaz.html

I have attended and taken courses in 'CAN (cure autism now) and DAN (DEFEAT AUTISM NOW) ...I have a whole list of kids, including mine that regressed under the DAN protocol and now I am committed to raising awareness about strategies that are helping the child to communicate along with taking care of the sensory stimulation and arousal. I am just quoting a part of Dr. Amy's message here...This does not mean that I have the answer to everything; far from it. There are many capable doctors and parents who have healed their children, or the children of others using very different programs. That is wonderful, and I applaud any program that will help to recover a child. Even if a program helps only one child, it is worth taking notice of it. However, this is not the site to discuss every approach to deal with each issue.[i]

where she is acknowledging that the biomedical is not the complete answer and it's a work in progress....for which I give her lots of credit.
I am also including the link to another article of this forum where I have summarized parts of sensory, communicational, DAN, social and educational components required for the kids on the spectrum and will not regress any child.

http://www.autism-pakistan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

One other thing that I want to bring to your notice is that this site has been set up to help parents in Pakistan or other areas far from the Western world and it's not feasable for the parents to come in for consultations and it actually lead to guilt and depression for not having edequate sources to be able to do so...again trying to give advice that would be workable for the majority...within their resources would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Saima[/i]
saima

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sommer,

You might be surprised to know but although there hasn't been any workshop conducted about ABA, TEACCH, Henan, RDI...let alone Pakistan ..in any of the Asian countries....there have been conferrences about DAN and the nutritional side ...affecting the autism. Majority by the people who have no authentic knowledge, medical or any professional background and have charged thousands of dollars for that. As there are also a very few speech language pathologist, occupational therapist, psychologists and special educators, esp. in Pakistan...parents have and still are pulling all their resources and going into debts behind these nutritional supplements thinking that some vitamins and chelations will recover the child....and they will start going to a mainstream school. I have met some totally devasted families who first had one child on the spectrum that they wanted cured and ended up in total financial and emotional breakdown of the whole family...including their neurotypical kids and the bread earner.

Now I did become a member of Dr. Amy's site to see if I can ask her help in spreading the 'right nutritional' information...but for one all the topics are blocked so you can read but can't post...and therefore couldn't check how willing she is in spreading the knowledge and her expertise further. One way could be educating the facts and fads to the parents and the nutritionist and family doctors on board....

Thanks for responding.

Saima
saima

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sommer,

My mission has been to provide the parents with the basic information and tools to feel them empowered to make the right choices for their kids.This is regradless of where they live and their financial resources ....Anyone who can provide this kind of help is welcome to join.
Institutional homes are full of autistic people in North America and the secondary and high school problems are escalating day by day. So if every professional could work a few hours a month in empowering others about their finds and educating others...we should be able to solve our 'home' problems and use net to reach out to every corner of the world.
Secondly I want to educate the local professionals...for DAN , it could be medical doctor, pharmacist, nutritionist..etc. who if have the right information can guide the parents with a fraction of the cost.....but first and far most if parents are knowledgeable they can use common sense and approach the right people to help them.

I have added my guideline of therapeutic approach here for you to look at..
thanks,

Saima

Dear parents,

Helping an autistic child is like solving a comlicated puzzle....it has lots of pieces and every little piece helps. I will try to summarize it for all of you as if you get into only one aspect too much...then it doesn't work out well and all the energy and time is lost. Not everything works for each child so its important to look at the bigger picture and take small steps to see whats working best for the child and then individualize the treatment / therapy plan.

1. Relaxing sensory play and one on one interaction oppurtunities, about 2-3 hours everyday.

To learn how to develope interaction with your child....I recommend the parents to familiarize themselves with the book, "More Than Words". Also make a list of your childs favourite activities and get involved with your child by taking his lead in what he tries to do. Keep verbal communication to the minimum, but use gesture, funny sounds and faces, along with exaggerated expressions and cheering. You will be pleasently surprised by not only increased alertness in the child, but will also notice a better appetite and sleep pattern, along with reduced hyperactivity.

2. Understanding Elements of DAN Protocol...

A ) Supplements....minerals and vitamins.
esp. Mg, iron, calcium, Vitamin A , B6 , B12 , C , E . essential fats, omega 3 & 6 (nuts and cod liver oil) .

Majority of the kids are picky eater and deficient in nutrients and vitamins. Lots avoid taking meat and are anemic. Those on gfcf diets are not taking in enough calcium. If the appetite is not improving after the play set up and treatment of candiada, try to start supplementing your child. It's come to my knowledge that parents have been importing minerals from states ...they don't have to. Talk to a well aware family doctor / nutritionist ...discuss your childs intake and ask about the supplements. Needs are no different than that of a typical child who would have an appetite like this ASD one.

B) use of nystatin and probiotics, and sometimes special diets( avoiding casein and glutein).
This is more recommended for kids who haven't responded well to a couple of months of sesory and child directed play set up and supplements.

C) Detoxification / chelation therapies

This ia a hot issue for most parents, esp. the iv chelation. I have a whole list of parents who contact me in a panic and need more info. about expenses, should they immigrate for this reason...etc, etc.

My advise is, try step A & B, if the child hasn't started improving, than consider improving your child's natural excretory system to get rid of the excretants.. First of all try increasing your child's fluid intake, juices, water, sport drinks....., along with ample oppurtunity of vigrous activities.
Then consider trial of epson salt baths to the child, this alone takes care of lots of toxins and is a non-invasive treatment before moving on to more complex chelations. The inhaled and skin patch chelations are still safer than the iv ones.

D) Use of melatonin,

a natural harmone versus anxiolytics for a better sleep pattern if the structured play and the other mentioned steps haven't helped in establishing a better sleep pattern.

3. Building fun activities out of home,

like oppurtunity to spend time in pool / bathtub, climbing , jumping , running...scheduled within the daily routine.

4. Setting up a home teaching system with child specific goals

..by using picture symbols, schedules and text.

5. Setting up a support system

with family / friends / volunteers / hired help to further establish the learning process.

6. Transfer of home learned skills

into a supported school system, which is probably the most difficult of all the steps but can be achieved with group efforts.

7. Having a family and sibling support system

for encouragement, moral support and continuing effort.

If we only concentrate at one piece of the puzzle, the objective will not be achieved. Looking at your indidvidual resources, just take one step at a time and what seems too overwhelming for now, will get easier, esp. as you get to see the differences in the child. See what can be done now and what can be added and worked on later. Always remeber that your wellbeing is the key to this whole process so take good care of yourself and Inshallallah you will achieve your goals.

May God bless us with enough insight and knowledge so we are able to hande our responsibilities well.

Saima
Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Experience All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: