autism-pakistan.org Forum Index autism-pakistan.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parent of a Autistc child

Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Teaching Autistic Child
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Parent of a Autistc child Reply with quote

I am a proud mother of two beautiful girls ages 6 and 5 . My younger daughter was diagnosed with autism around age 2. Being in America helped us get her immediate and effective help with amazing results. There are a number of programs available here to help these families. One of the best is EARLY INTERVENTION . The belief that with early detection and intervention , a child has the opportunity to start learning the positive behaviours rather than loose time indulging in negative behaviour. There are great SPECIAL EDUCATION classes and then , parents always have the option of FULL INCLUSION (side by side with other regular kids) in local state school. These kids are assigned paraeducators , who keep an eye on them and assist them in learning. My daughter benefitted from all these programs , and recently I have started working as a paraeducator, part time.

One thing that helped us most was the realization that our child needed help. It was most important , therefore, that we get over the denial , check our emotions at the door and start working for the benefit of our daugher. She is progressing leaps and bounds and every new day brings us more joy than the last. My older daughter is an amazing sister. She keeps her sister involved and through copying and fun exercises they both end up learning from each other.

I want to stress that although every autism case is different , all kids benefit immensely from proper educational, language and behavioural help. What is important is that these kids are given a chance to study with their peers in whatever school they want, with an individualized education plan for each child where the course is tailored to their individual needs. The teachers need to bring compassion to teaching, and with proper

It was nice to see your page online. Gave me hope someone is bringing awareness to people who need help. Parents can play an amazing role only if they know some of the techniques the professionals use.

Here are some.
Sit down and then talk slowly to the child. Sitting down does not overwhelm the child.

Use picture schedules or boards to start talking with a non verbal kid. I took digital pics of everyday stuff (bed, apples, juice,etc.), cut them, put valcrow at the back , took a board and put valcrow on it and every time my kid wanted something she choose one of the pics. This helped her learn words until she became increasingly verbal around 4 years old.

Do not show distress in your voice. Stay calm and focused. The kid will pick up on it. If you ask your child to do some task e.g. put your shows under the bed , do not give in till he actually does it. IF the child does not understand help him carry them under the bed.

Use simple games like MATCH THE CARDS , Cariboo, and read lots of easy stories to them. SIngle lines as well as picture stories.

Please read a few books on the subject , it will give you immense help in understanding your childs needs

Satwat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    autism-pakistan.org Forum Index -> Teaching Autistic Child All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: